The calendar has turned to September, and while many pennant races have cooled off, we are just starting to heat up here at Midwest Sports Fans with our MLB Trivia Challenge Podcast sponsored by the M&A advisors and consultants at Generational Equity.
In Episode #11, White Sox fan Jerod and Indians fan Ari are joined by Al Beaton of BlessYouBoys.com, the blog of record for the Detroit Tigers at SBNation. Jerod and Ari had hoped that getting Al to discuss the Tigers’ playoff hopes would prove to be a jinx. It didn’t work out so well.
First, here are the updated standings heading into Episode #11.
Remember: the overall winner at the end of the season gets an iPad and a subscription to MLB.tv for next season. And if you’re just finding out about the challenge now, you can always catch up on all the old podcasts and quizzes here. Scores are cumulative and entries can be submitted until the end of the season.
In Episode #11, Jerod and Al attempt to answer six more questions from Ari, and Jerod has some BIG news regarding the current standings. After the trivia portion of the program, Al discusses his thoughts on Justin Verlander’s MVP chances, the underappreciated Miguel Cabrera, and how the Tigers’ pitching staff stacks up for a playoff run.
Click play on the player below to listen.
The link above skips you to the bottom of this page where quiz is embedded. Podcast will continue playing.
A few quick notes:
- The MLB Trivia Challenge is available on iTunes. Listen and subscribe here.
- Be sure to follow the MSF Trivia Challenge Podcast on Twitter: @MLBTriviaMSF.
- If you like the intro and outro music, and I know you will, it was provided to us by the Twin Cats out of Indianapolis. We encourage you to like them on Facebook or check out their music here.
Here are links to all the old quizzes, in case you missed one:
- Episode 1 with Ken Rosenthal
- Episode 2 with Will Carroll
- Episode 3 with Big League Stew
- Episode 4 with Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors
- Episode 5 with Derek Schultz of XL950 in Indianapolis
- Episode 6 with Deadspin founder Will Leitch
- Episode 7 with Gregg Doyel of CBS Sports
- Episode 8 with Scott Sargent of Waiting For Next Year
- Episode 9 with Jonah Keri of Grantland
- Episode 10 with Jim Margalus of South Side Sox
Your Turn to Compete and Win Prizes
Now onto the fun stuff: your chance to match wits with the “experts” and win prizes.
As explained on the rules and information page, we will be rewarding one winner each time a new MLB Trivia Challenge Podcast and quiz are posted. This winner will be awarded as follows:
- Each correct answer nets you one point. Most points wins.
- In the event of a tie, we will choose from the top group at random.
- The winner receives a $20 gift certificate to Chili’s*, which is perfect for a Chili’s Lunch Break.
- Weekly winners can go bold with the new six-dollar lunch break combo at Chili’s. Choose a house made soup or salad and then pick a half Texas Toast sandwich like the Southwestern BLT smothered in cilantro lime mayo.
- See all the great Lunch Break combos at Chilis.com.
- Note: You have ONE WEEK from today to submit yours answers and be eligible for the weekly prize. Next Thursday at 11:59 pm CT, entries are closed and we award a winner.
In addition to the weekly prizes, a grand prize winner will be chosen at the end of the season. Simply put, the grand prize winner will be the person who tallies up the most points throughout the season, regardless of when the quiz is taken.
A few final notes you need to know before we let you have at it:
- LISTEN to the podcast; each week we will be including one bonus question taken directly from our discussion.
- ONLY your first entry counts, for the weekly prize and grand prize.
- MAKE SURE you use the same UserID throughout the season. This is how we will keep track of your scores.
- PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the instructions after each question. Due to the parameters of the quiz program we are using, and our inability to hand-grade thousands of quizzes each week, we must request that you very specific and particular in how you answer the questions. Thus, you MUST spell names correctly. Think of it this way: attention to detail is paramount in baseball, so shouldn’t it be part of the challenge? Absolutely.
Obviously we cannot post the answers because this is an ongoing trivia challenge.
Check back in two weeks when we’ll post the 12th episode of the MLB Trivia Challenge sponsored by the buyer ready experts at Generational Equity. Remember: someone is winning an iPad and a subscription to MLB.tv when this is all said and done…it might as well be you.
* – Chili’s gift certificate good in U.S. only.