Update: The NFL Week 17 TV schedule, point spreads, and picks post is up.
Mercy has finally come to Browns fans, as the team is on its bye!
Thus, there can be no Sunday massacre to dampen an otherwise pleasant weekend. And here’s the best part: Cleveland doesn’t play until next Monday night, which further prolongs the days between Browns beat-downs.
In between, there are some great games on the NFL Week 9 schedule for Browns fans, as well as Bills, Vikings, Jets, Raiders, and Rams fans, to distract themselves with, most notably the Sunday and Monday night games, both of which should be excellent and match up Dallas-Philadelphia and Denver-Pittsburgh.
We also get key divisional showdowns including Miami-New England, Houston-Indianapolis, and Baltimore-Cincinnati.
It should be another great weekend of NFL football. So, as we get ready for tonight’s Falcons-Saints Monday nighter, let’s take a look forward at the TV schedule, announcer lineups, point spreads and over-unders, and picks for NFL Week 9.
4th and Short NFL Picks Podcast
Jerod and Myles discuss Week 9 of the 2009 NFL schedule
As for my picks and record, well let’s just say that Week 8 was not kind of me. I suppose it was inevitable that I’d lay a giant egg at least one week…and now it’s happened.
Pending the results of the Saints-Falcons game tonight, I am sitting at 3-7 for the week (I didn’t pick every game because some games did not have lines by Monday night). This puts my overall record at 60-48 for the season. Still 12 games over, but inching closer to the .500 mark.
(Update: The Falcons barely kept it close enough to get me win #4 for the week. 61-48 overall now.)
Time for a turnaround in Week 9.
A couple of quick things to keep in mind:
- The Bills, Browns, Vikings, Jets, Raiders, and Rams are all on their bye.
- All times are ET.
- Some games do not have all of the information filled in as of this post being published (i.e. a few games don’t have spreads yet and the announcer assignments have not yet been announced). I’ll up date this post as soon as the information is available at the506.com.
- Point spread and over-under listings are as of Monday night, and obviously subject to change throughout the week. If you want update point spread info, or some expert advice as you make your weekly picks, below are a few helpful links.
- DocSports: NFL Odds
- DocSports: NFL Picks
And with all that said, here is your mood music and the Week Nine TV schedule, point spreads, announcers, free picks, and byes.
NFL Week 9 Viewer’s Guide
TV Schedule – Announcers – Kickoff Times – Byes
Point Spreads – Free Picks – Odds – Over-Unders
Washington Redskins at Atlanta Falcons
- Redskins-Falcons Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Redskins-Falcons Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Redskins-Falcons TV Network: FOX
- Redskins-Falcons Announcers: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, and Tony Siragusa
- Redskins-Falcons Point Spread: No line as of Monday night
- Redskins-Falcons Over-Under: No line as of Monday night
- Redskins-Falcons Spread Pick: Obviously there will not be a line until Atlanta gets through its Monday night game against the Saints tonight. However, I expect the Falcons to be favored in Week 9 and I plan to take the Redskins. Washington is coming off of its bye while Atlanta will be coming off of a short week. I don’t know that the Redskins will win, but I bet they can keep it close. Redskins-Falcons free pick: Redskins + whatever the spread is.
Arizona Cardinals at Chicago Bears
- Cardinals-Bears Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Cardinals-Bears Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Cardinals-Bears TV Network: FOX
- Cardinals-Bears Announcers: Joe Buck and Troy Aikman
- Cardinals-Bears Point Spread: Bears -3
- Cardinals-Bears Over-Under: 44.5
- Cardinals-Bears Spread Pick: Who knows what to think of these two teams. The Bears won by 24 on Sunday, but I didn’t think they looked particularly good against Cleveland. Arizona is all over the place, pounding the Giants one week while getting creamed by the Panthers the next week. In the end, I’m just not that impressed with Chicago and I think Arizona can shut down Matt Forte. I’m calling the Cardinals’ Week 8 beat down a fluke and pitching them to at least keep it closer than a Bears field goal; if push came to shove, I’d pick Arizona to win outright. Cardinals-Bears free pick: Cardinals +3
Baltimore Ravens at Cincinnati Bengals
- Ravens-Bengals Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Ravens-Bengals Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Ravens-Bengals TV Network: CBS
- Ravens-Bengals Announcers: Dick Enberg and Dan Fouts
- Ravens-Bengals Point Spread: Ravens -3
- Ravens-Bengals Over-Under: 43.5
- Ravens-Bengals Spread Pick: This should be a very interesting game. Baltimore was sterling at home last week coming off of their bye and handed Denver its first loss of the season. Cincinnati is coming off of its bye and its best game of the season, a thorough pounding of the Bears. I am starting to believe more and more in these Bengals and simply cannot give the Ravens three points with the game in Cincinnati. Ravens-Bengals free pick: Bengals +3
Houston Texans at Indianapolis Colts
- Texans-Colts Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Texans-Colts Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Texans-Colts TV Network: CBS
- Texans-Colts Announcers: Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots
- Texans-Colts Point Spread: Colts -9
- Texans-Colts Over-Under: 47.5
- Texans-Colts Spread Pick: This is a tricky one. Peyton Manning always plays well against the Texans, whose running game looked better than it really is last week against the worst rushing D in the league (Buffalo). Losing Owen Daniels will hurt the Texans, and I just don’t think they have what it takes to stay with Indianapolis in Indy. I think Houston gets humbled a bit this week, but still can contend for a playoff berth moving forward. Texans-Colts free pick: Colts -9
Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars
- Chiefs-Jaguars Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Chiefs-Jaguars Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Chiefs-Jaguars TV Network: CBS
- Chiefs-Jaguars Announcers: Bill Macatee and Steve Beuelein
- Chiefs-Jaguars Point Spread: Jaguars -7
- Chiefs-Jaguars Over-Under: 42
- Chiefs-Jaguars Spread Pick: Is anyone looking forward to watching this game? Jacksonville has three wins but is not even that good of a team. And Kansas City is clearly not a good team either. The Jags have played pretty well against subpar competition at home, and I think they will find a way to do it again on Sunday. David Garrard has been especially good at home this year. Expect it to continue. Chiefs-Jaguars free pick: Jaguars -7
Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots
- Dolphins-Patriots Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Dolphins-PatriotsKickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Dolphins-Patriots TV Network: CBS
- Dolphins-Patriots Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf
- Dolphins-Patriots Point Spread: Patriots -10.5
- Dolphins-Patriots Over-Under: 46.5
- Dolphins-Patriots Spread Pick: As a someone who grew up a Dolphins fan, this is a game I am greatly looking forward to. The Dolphins played the Patriots very well last season and are currently 3-0 against AFC East rivals. I do not think Miami can go into Foxboro and win the game; however, I do believe that Miami’s running game and smashmouth run defense can keep it close for a while. Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker will ultimately be too much for Miami’s young secondary though, and I think the Patriots pull away in the second half. Dolphins-Patriots free pick: Patriots -10.5
Green Bay Packers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Packers-Buccaneers Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Packers-Buccaneers Kickoff Time: 1:00 pm
- Packers-Buccaneers TV Network: FOX
- Packers-Buccaneers Announcers: Sam Rosen and Tim Ryan
- Packers-Buccaneers Point Spread: Packers -9.5
- Packers-Buccaneers Over-Under: 43.5
- Packers-Buccaneers Spread Pick: Green Bay will no doubt smarting from its lost to Minnesota and the Packers clearly have no figured out their protection problems. However, Tampa Bay is a terrible team and the Packers have already proven that they can dispose of terrible teams on the road with ease. I think this is a good weekend for the Packers to lick their Week 8 wounds and get right for four quarters on offense. Packers-Buccaneers free pick: Packers -9.5
Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints
- Panthers-Saints Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Panthers-Saints Kickoff Time: 4:05 pm
- Panthers-Saints TV Network: FOX
- Panthers-Saints Announcers: Thom Brennaman and Brian Billick
- Panthers-Saints Point Spread: No line as of Monday night
- Panthers-Saints Over-Under: No line as of Monday night
- Panthers-Saints Spread Pick: As with the Falcons game above, no line will be posted until tonight’s game is over. Barring any significant injuries for the Saints, I think they will be able to dominate Carolina at home next week. Let’s see…we have the QB with most INTs in the league (Delhomme) against the D with most INTs in the league (New Orleans). That’s not a good combo for the Panthers. (Now watch Delhomme throw 4 TDs and no picks…because the NFL is wacky like that.) Panthers-Saints free pick: Saints minus whatever the spread is.
Detroit Lions at Seattle Seahawks
- Lions-Seahawks Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Lions-Seahawks Kickoff Time: 4:05 pm
- Lions-Seahawks TV Network: FOX
- Lions-Seahawks Announcers: Dick Stockton and Charles Davis
- Lions-Seahawks Point Spread: Seahawks -10
- Lions-Seahawks Over-Under: 43
- Lions-Seahawks Spread Pick: This is an ugly game that I can’t imagine anyone will be too excited to watch. Seattle has been much better at home this year than on the road and Detroit just is not a good team right now. I’m going with Seattle in a blowout. Lions-Seahawks free pick: Seahawks -10
Tennessee Titans at San Francisco 49ers
- Titans-49ers Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Titans-49ers Kickoff Time: 4:15 pm
- Titans-49ers TV Network: CBS
- Titans-49ers Announcers: Ian Eagle and Rich Gannon
- Titans-49ers Point Spread: 49ers -4
- Titans-49ers Over-Under: 41
- Titans-49ers Spread Pick: Tennessee appeared to get itself righted last week, but let’s keep in mind that they were playing at home against Jacksonville, a team that is terrible on the road. The 49ers played very well at Indy and almost stole a W. I’m beginning to believe more in Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree, but still do not have faith in Vince Young. I want to see him do it again before I’ll trust the Titans. I’m still high on the 49ers though and think this is a game they win rather handily. Titans-49ers free pick: 49ers -4
San Diego Chargers at New York Giants
- Chargers-Giants Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Chargers-Giants Kickoff Time: 4:15 pm
- Chargers-Giants TV Network: CBS
- Chargers-Giants Announcers: Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
- Chargers-Giants Point Spread: Giants -5
- Chargers-Giants Over-Under: 47.5
- Chargers-Giants Spread Pick: What the hell are we to make of the Giants? This team is playing terrible football right now and I have to think that part of Eli Manning’s struggles have to do with his injured foot. San Diego is no world beater, but they are a capable team that could have given even the “good” Giants a solid game. I would not be surprised to see San Diego steal a W here, based on how New York is playing, and I certainly think they can cover give points. Chargers-Giants free pick: Chargers +5
Dallas Cowboys at Philadelphia Eagles
- Cowboys-Eagles Date: Sunday, Nov 8th
- Cowboys-Eagles Kickoff Time: 8:20 pm
- Cowboys-Eagles TV Network: NBC
- Cowboys-Eagles Announcers: Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth
- Cowboys-Eagles Point Spread: Eagles -3
- Cowboys-Eagles Over-Under: 47.5
- Cowboys-Eagles Spread Pick: What a terrific game this should be. Philadelphia has rebounded from their Oakland loss to beat Washington despite playing an uneven game and then beating the Giants in a rout. Dallas, meanwhile, has quietly reasserted itself as a team to be reckoned with. The Cowboys, I believe, have actually been playing more consistent football than Philadelphia, and I think they will be out to avenge to last season’s shellacking at the end of the regular season. I think Dallas has a great chance to win this game outright, and I think they at least cover the three. Cowboys-Eagles free pick: Cowboys +3
Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos
- Steelers-Broncos Date: Monday, Nov 9th
- Steelers-Broncos Kickoff Time: 8:30 pm
- Steelers-Broncos TV Network: ESPN
- Steelers-Broncos Announcers: Mike Tirico, Ron Jaworski, and Jon Gruden
- Steelers-Broncos Point Spread: Steelers -3
- Steelers-Broncos Over-Under: 38.5
- Steelers-Broncos Spread Pick: Did the glass slipper fall off of Denver last week in Baltimore? Or was it just a one week blip? We will certainly find out Monday night, but I think Denver is good enough to get more respect than being a three point home dog. Pittsburgh has been uneven this year and I think Denver will be able to slow down Big Ben and the passing game. With Rashard Mendenhall’s fumbilitis, I think plenty of opportunities will be there for Denver to get good field position and win a low scoring game. Steelers-Broncos free pick: Broncos +3