Despite reports on Thursday that the Houston Texans were on the verge of acquiring quarterback Ryan Mallett from the New England Patriots, that apparently is not the case. People were likely connecting dots that simply weren’t there as the Texans claim they have had no discussions about acquiring the 25-year-old signal-caller.
ESPN’s Ed Werder further threw water on that fire on SportsCenter Friday when he said he had been told that Mallett was “not available.” Texans general manager Rick Smith further claimed that his team has not had any conversations with the Patriots regarding Mallett.
Many believed Mallett was a fit with the Texans because Houston head coach Bill O’Brien was with the Patriots when the team drafted Mallett out of Arkansas.
The Texans certainly drafted like a team that didn’t believe it had quarterback issues through the first three rounds of this year’s draft. So far they have selected four players and none of them will line up under center. At No. 1 they took South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, at No. 33 they picked UCLA guard Xavier Su’a-Filo and at No. 65 they snagged Iowa tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz.
Midway through the third round the Texans decided to trade back in to the round and sent the 101st and 141st picks to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for the 83rd pick. They then selected Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix III.
Houston’s next pick will come at No. 135, which is the 35th pick in the fourth round. Presumably the team will target a quarterback there, since its current depth chart isn’t exactly inspiring.
So despite a ton of buzz to the contrary, Ryan Mallett does not appear to be in Houston’s plans at the moment.