Richie Incognito filed a grievance against the Miami Dolphins on Thursday over his suspension from the team. The NFL Players Association released a statement in the afternoon on Thursday claiming the 30-year-old guard had filed a non-injury grievance.
The statement reads as follows:
The grievance challenges his suspension for conduct which was alleged to have occurred while he was with the club. In the grievance, Incognito requests that the hearing be held on an expedited basis so that he can immediately resume playing for the team.
The NFL Players Association will continue to protect the rights of all players.
Incognito was suspended by the Dolphins on November 3 for misconduct related to the mistreatment of fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin. Martin left the team last month to receive help for emotional issues he says were related to his treatment by Incognito.
Incognito’s suspension from the team can last up to four games and he has currently missed one. The Dolphins have not said how long they plan for the suspension to last.
On Friday Martin is set to meet with Ted Wells, who was hired by the NFL as an independent investigator looking into situation. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross also plans to meet with Martin on Friday.
Ross has announced the formation of two committees to examine Miami’s locker room culture. The team’s players have claimed there isn’t a problem in the locker room and the culture doesn’t need to be changed.
Almost every player suspended by his team will file some kind of grievance against it. So this was an expected move as the Incognito/Martin saga continues to play out step-by-step.