Fantasy Football Week 7: Start ‘em, sit ‘em.

As the NFL season progresses, maintaining a successful fantasy team can hinge on whether you outsmart yourself or not. There have been plenty of healthy players who were once considered studs that you may be beginning to question whether or not to put them in your lineup.

If you pulled Tony Romo in Week 5, you missed out on 506 yards and five touchdowns. Don’t like Larry Fitzgerald against San Francisco and decide to finally sit him in Week 6? All he did was go for 117 yards and a score.

Whether or not you’re patient enough to wait for that breakout game is a different story. Here’s a look at who may or may not do just that in Week 7.

QUARTERBACK

eli-manning-atlanta-falcons-new-york-giants-preview-prediction-point-spread-announcers-tv-timeStart ‘em: Eli Manning, New York

Yep. I went there.

The Manning that won’t be winning the MVP this year has the Giants off to an 0-6 start, and has yet to complete an interception-free game this season. But there are far worse options out there this week.

If you’re a Drew Brees owner, don’t feel (too) bad about starting Eli this week. For all of his poor play this season, Manning is still fifth in the league in passing yards. Facing a Minnesota team that that is allowing an average of 31.6 points and 418 yards per game, start Eli Manning this week. He’s got to have a decent game eventually, right?

Sit ‘em: Joe Flacco, Baltimore

It wasn’t Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady that had the best statistical Week 6, it was Joe Flacco, with 342 yards and two touchdowns. That was in a good matchup, at home, against the Packers.

This week the Ravens go on the road to Pittsburgh, a place where Flacco has excelled only once, a 300-yard game in 2011. In four other regular season games, Flacco has averaged just 195 yards per contest. You can find a better option this week.

RUNNING BACK

Start ‘em: Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh

Don’t be scared by Bell’s 34-yard performance against the Jets in Week 6. The Jets boast one of the top run defenses in the league, whereas the Ravens – who the Steelers will be playing in Week 7 – do not. Eddie Lacy gashed Baltimore for 120 yards in Week 6, and fellow rookie Bell should be able to have a similar outing with the Ravens on the road.

Sit ‘em: Stevan Ridley, New England

Just when you thought you might have something with Ridley (96 yards rushing, two touchdowns), he has to face the Jets. Teams are averaging just 75.7 yards per game against New York, the second stiffest mark in the league. The Patriots will likely find another way to win this week, but it’s doubtful it will come thanks to Ridley’s legs.

WIDE RECEIVER

Start ‘em: Terrance Williams, Dallas

In the six games that the Philadelphia Eagles have played during the Chip Kelly era, an average of 57.5 points have been scored per contest. Don’t expect that trend to change when the Cowboys come to town this weekend.

With Miles Austin likely to return Sunday, it stands to reason that Williams’ value actually goes up as a third receiver. In the Eagles’ six games, players like Leonard Hankerson (five receptions, 80 yards), Donnie Avery (seven, 141), Reuben Randle (six, 96) and Timothy Wright (seven, 91) have all put up solid fantasy outings. Expect Williams to join that group this weekend.

Sit ‘em: Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City

If you haven’t been sitting him by now, it might be time. The Texans got beat down by a mediocre St. Louis team this past weekend, but Houston still has the NFL’s best defensive team statistically, and that’s what counts in fantasy football.

Houston is allowing only 252 yards per game and 131 through the air, and it’s not going to be Alex Smith and Dwayne Bowe that break those numbers open. Feel good about sitting Bowe this week.

About Chris Callaway

Chris lives and works in La Crosse, Wisconsin, working primarily on-air while doing some writing as well. He is a part-owner of the Green Bay Packers, a Milwaukee Brewers die-hard, learning hockey while supporting the Minnesota Wild, and is also a fan of the Wisconsin Badgers and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Follow him on twitter @ccallaway33.

Comments

1. Hey Chris, big fan, I’m in a pickle with some starts this week. Should I start garçon and green and put Lamar miller at flex or green and t.y with garçon at flex? Also Bennett or Olsen at te? Thanks

• Chris Callaway says:

Thanks Joe. I really like T.Y. Hilton, and there’s a pretty good chance that the Broncos-Colts game becomes a shootout. And I wouldn’t trust Lamar Miller yet. I’d go with your second option there.

As for TE, that Redskins defense is…bad. Run with Marty B.

2. Phil Campanella says:

Chris, like your work. wondering if you like le’veon over trent this week in a 2 RB standard scoring league. jamaal is my other back. Also, my defense is Denver and am a bit concerned with their matchup in Indy even with Von back. My bench is Matt Ryan (can’t cut, and had julio before he got hurt), Marques Colston :/, Percy Harvin, and Le’veon/Trent. The miami D is available, how do i should i go about acquiring them? who is worth dropping if anyone? I like Denvers D with Von back but they have a tough schedule going forward. drop Denver straight up and stream the rest of the way? Thanks, Phil.

• Chris Callaway says:

I think it’s pretty close actually between Le’Veon and Trent Richardson, but I still think you have to roll with Richardson. And I think the Denver defense will only continue to improve, so I’d hang on to them for the time being.

3. Jorge Vargas says:

Hey Chris,

What do you think of Arizona’s chance tonight. Fitzgerald and or Ellington might have a good game?

I am currently starting four receivers Torrey Smith (Flex), Dez Bryant, K Allen, and Mike Wallace.

• Chris Callaway says:

It’s tough to figure out Larry Fitzgerald this season, and that’s largely because of Carson Palmer. I don’t hate him against Seattle as I believe in his ability, but if Palmer has a bad game, who knows. I like him better than Ellington vs Seattle though, and would probably consider starting him over Torrey Smith. The Bills pass defense has been surprisingly OK.

4. Greetings again Chris,
    I picked up Keenan Allen and dropped Randall Cobb this past week. Now I have some WRs that have been doing pretty well over the past weeks to choose from. I need help on my two starting wideouts, my flex and rb/wr players for Week 7. My lineup consist of Terrence Williams, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Vincent Jackson, Alshon Jeffries, Doug Martin and Danny Woodhead. I have Jaamal Charles as my number 1 RB. What are your thoughts?

5. Hey Chris, commented yesterday and keep doing wishy was with my lineup. Would u choose Lamar miller over cj2k this week.?

6. Hello Chris, thank you for the helpful start em or sit em post. I found myself in a tough decision this week and hope you can help me out. I have two QB’s- Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton, who should I start for the week? Usually when I sit Rivers he does great numbers compared to Newton but when I sit Newton he does better then Rivers. Hoping you can help me out with this choice.

7. What’s up Chris, was wondering what WR would you start this week? T.Y. Hilton or Eric Decker?

Also, what RB would you start? Brandon Jacobs or Trent Richardson?

• Chris Callaway says:

Eric Decker, but both could have good games. And I’d go with Brandon Jacobs. Minnesota is really bad, and he’s going to be getting all the work.

8. alshon jeffery or keenan allen at the flex spot?

9. Doug Martin or Danny Woodhead at RB2?

10. Ok. 2 separate leagues. Pick three to start. League 1. Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon, Wes welker, Brandon marshal. League 2. Vincent Jackson, Justin Blackmon, Reggie Wayne, Josh Gordon. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

1. […] Midwest Sports Fan did indeed go there…Start Eli Manning this week in your fantasy league, grab him in your Draft Kings League, check out the rest of MSF’s startem and sitem’s in the NFL […]