The NFL season kicks off tonight as the NY Giants travel to Dallas to meet up with their division rivals, the Dallas Cowboys. Earlier today Steve previewed the action and told you what he expects to happen.
Now it’s my turn.
The game looks to be one off the marquee matchups of the NFL’s opening weekend. It is no secret that these two teams do not care for each other and neither do their fans.
The NY Giants are one of the only defending Super Bowl champs in recent history to actually still have a chip on their shoulder.
Detractors say that they may be the worst team to ever win the Super Bowl, as they did have the worst record of any Super Bowl champ last season. For example, linebacker Clay Matthews called the Giants’ playoff win against them last year an “aberration,” and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones tweeted that Cowboys faithful should come watch the Cowboys “beat the NY Giant’s ass, O.K.?” earlier this summer.
The Cowboys are coming off of a middling season in which they barely missed the playoffs after losing handily to the Giants in the final week of the season on New Year’s Day in New York. Problems in the Cowboys secondary were one of the main reasons that the Giants swept the season series with the Cowboys, as Eli Manning torched the Cowboys for almost 800 yards combined in the two games and 5 passing TDs.
The Cowboys have revamped their secondary this year. Their most notable move was trading up in the draft to get All-American cornerback Morris Claiborne. They also signed cornerback Brandon Carr away from the Kansas City Chiefs.
Who Will Win?
While the Cowboys’ defense is improved, this game should still be a shootout as both teams have great quarterbacks and know each other well.
The best shot the Cowboys have at winning this game is if DeMarcus Ware can feed off his league-leading sack total from last year and help the Cowboys get a lot of pressure on Manning.
It wouldn’t hurt if DeMarco Murray could take some of the load off of Romo and have a big day on the ground either. Running back may be the one advantage that the Cowboys have over the Giants on offense.
I look for the Giants to cover the 4 point spread and win the NFL Kickoff 34-28 for the following reasons:
- History – Defending Champions are undefeated (8-0) in the NFL Kickoff game the following season.
- Drive – Even though they are the defending Super Bowl champions, many still doubt the NY Giants. They are a defending champion with a legitimate chip on their shoulders.
- “Home” Field Advantage? – The NY Giants have yet to lose a game in the new Cowboys stadium (3-0)
What do you think will happen in New York tonight?
Who will win tonight's 2012 NFL season opener?
- Dallas Cowboys (42%, 13 Votes)
- New York Giants (58%, 18 Votes)
Total Voters: 31
Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants Game Info
- Cowboys-Giants Date: Wednesday, September 5
- Cowboys-Giants Kickoff Time: 8:30 PM
- Cowboys-Giants TV Network: NBC
- Cowboys-Giants Announcers: Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth
- Cowboys-Giants Point Spread: Giants -4
- Cowboys-Giants Over-Under Odds: 44.5