American Olympic fans were disappointed to see the men’s gymnastics team fail to medal and Ryan Lochte finish fourth in the 200 freestyle.
But there were also some surprises:
- Teen swimming phenom Missy Franklin recovered from her 200 freestyle semifinal to upset Australia’s Emily Seebohm to win gold in the women’s 100 backstroke.
- The American duo of Matt Grevers and Nick Thoman took gold and silver (respectively) in the men’s 100 backstroke.
- 19-year-old American water polo player Maggie Steffens scored a record-tying 7 goals in a 14-13 win over Hungary.
- The men’s synchronized 10 meter platform diving team of David Boudia and Nicholas McCrory won the USA its first men’s diving medal since 1996.
- And, to no one’s surprise, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings defeated their Czech opponents in straight sets. They still have yet to drop a set in Olympic play.
Now today in London:
- Michael Phelps will swim for a third consecutive gold medal in the 200 butterfly.
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Jordyn Wieber, and the United States women’s gymnastics team will compete for team gold.
- The women’s soccer team faces North Korea (11:15 a.m. Central on NBC Sports Network).
- The men’s basketball team takes on Tunisia (4:15 p.m. on NBC Sports Network).
- American Andy Roddick tries to upset second-ranked Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon (10:00 a.m. on Bravo).
- And the top American men’s beach volleyball team of Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers goes up against Spain in group play (3:00 p.m. on NBC)
Here’s a look at today’s TV schedule and a list of medals that will be awarded today:
All times Central Daylight Time. Add one hour for Eastern time and six hours for London time.
9:00 a.m.: Canoe/kayak
9:30 a.m.: Swimming
10:15 a.m.: Rowing
10:45 a.m.: Men’s volleyball, USA v. Germany
12:30 p.m.: Swimming
1:15 p.m.: Rowing
1:40 p.m.: Men’s water polo, USA v. Romania
3:00 p.m.: Men’s beach volleyball (until 4:00)
7:00 p.m.: NBC Primetime, featuring swimming finals, women’s gymnastics team competition, women’s synchronized diving, and more (until 11:00)
NBC Sports Network
7:15 a.m.: Men’s water polo, Hungary v. Montenegro
8:15 a.m.: Equestrian
9:35 a.m.: Men’s beach volleyball
10:15 a.m.: Women’s beach volleyball
11:15 a.m.: Women’s soccer, USA v. North Korea
1:00 p.m.: Boxing
2:00 p.m.: Men’s basketball, France v. Argentina
3:45 p.m.: Fencing
4:15 p.m.: Men’s basketball, USA v. Tunisia
6:15 p.m.: Men’s volleyball, Brazil v. Russia
8:00 a.m.: Shooting
8:30 a.m.: Women’s soccer, Canada v. Sweden
10:15 a.m.: Archery
11:15 a.m.: Women’s soccer, France v. Colombia
1:00 p.m.: Women’s field hockey, USA v. Argentina
2:30 p.m.: Women’s soccer, Great Britain v. Brazil
3:30 p.m.: Table tennis (until 4:00)
4:30 p.m.: Weightlifting
5:00 p.m.: Badminton (until 5:30)
4:00 p.m.: Boxing (until 7:00)
6:00 a.m.: Tennis (until 2:00)
* * * * *
Medals Awarded on Monday
Men’s slalom C-1
Women’s synchronized, 10-meter platform
Men’s individual foil
Women’s 63 kg
Men’s 81 kg
Women’s 200 freestyle
Men’s 200 butterfly
Women’s 200 individual medley
Men’s 4 x 200 freestyle relay
Women’s 63 kg
Men’s 69 kg