What Dale’s Death on ‘The Walking Dead’ Symbolizes

If this title was a spoiler for you, I am sorry, but the death of Dale in “The Walking Dead” is just too important not to talk about. After having the same cast being present for the entire season, it was time for one of the members to be offed. But did it have to be Dale?

Dale was the last connection to the previous world in the group. Even Hershel had let go of the past when Shane slaughtered his entire family, once they were “walkers” of course.

dales-death-in-the-walking-dead

The death of Dale came at the very end of the episode. It was fitting, as the entire episode featured him preaching humanity to the entire group in regards to killing the prisoner Randall. Even Rick, who saved Randall from certain death after he shot at Rick, Hershel, and Glenn, decided that it would be best to kill Randall. This meant that he was siding with Shane, whom Dale despised.

When it was time for Randall to die, it was Dale who wanted to let him live. He knew that once they started killing living people, they would let go of any ties they had to the previous world. Even though it may be best to kill Randall, Dale did have a valid point. He did not want to see the group become murderers, especially on a young man who could help out the group.

Dale’s pleas were ignored, but Randall was ultimately spared, thanks to Carl. Carl, for some reason, snuck into the barn where Rick was about to shoot Randall. Rick just could not go through with it with his son there, so he kept Randall as a prisoner. However, Dale could not thank Carl as it was Carl who got Dale killed.

The “walker” that killed Dale was the one lured into camp by Carl himself. (Does anyone really like Carl as a character? I understand his role in the show, but him and Lori are the two most frustrating characters on the entire show. Maybe off them and give T-dog some more lines).

Once Daryl put the gun to Dale’s head and shot him as the screen went to black, it was evident that things will be different in future episodes. There will be no one to consider what is morally right, now that Rick has started to agree with Shane, and the elder presence is now gone. Herhsel clearly has some issues, evident by his mysterious past of drinking, and is more comfortable staying out of the business of the main group. The wisdom provided by Dale was very important to the functioning of the group.

A different way to look at Dale’s death is to look at it in a positive light. The group can finally start acting like they are living in a zombie-infested world, and not try and pretend that they are not. The scene from last week’s episode where Shane marvels at the “walker” in the field proves that they are beginning to understand the new world they inhabit. Without the constant “old-world” views presented by Dale, things will begin to get much more grim when it comes to decision making.

The other thing that will be missed with Dale’s absence was his face that he always made. The shocked and confused face made by Dale nearly every episode, and usually made to Shane, was classic. Also, who is going to drive the RV, if it is ever driven again?

Dale had a great run, and now that he is gone, the mindset of the group will surely change.

About Steve Kubitza

Being a native of the Cleveland, Steve Kubitza has endured many years of sports torture. He is a die-hard fan of his hometown teams, and also is a fan of professional sports in general. His articles will cover many different stories regarding the latest news, along with his opinions, in the world of sports. He also gets into the world of professional wrestling, offering his views on the current landscape of the WWE. Follow him on Twitter (@KubitzaMSF) to hear his opinions on everything from Cleveland sports to the WWE.

Comments

1. you are an utterly terrible writer.

2. garevans says:

Anybody else wonder how the walker managed to tear him open? To respond to the commend about Carl, I screamed at the dopy little git the whole way through the episode.

• Steve Kubitza says:

The walkers have bony fingers and fingernails, so they are able to rip through skin. That’s at least what was said on “The Talking Dead”.

• The walker using his ‘face’ or mouth was trying to get to dale, and dale was using his hands to fend it off. But the walker still had its hands and it ripped open his stomach… :'( poor dale.

• Feistyenchant says:

The Zombie managed to tear the cow apart, a human would have been a piece of cake lol
      I am so glad Dale is gone, I tired of his prattling.

3. Wow, could this piece be any more poorly written? The character Dale was the moral compass for the group, and now the show’s about to take a darker turn, just like the comic book did. The creator likes moral ambiguity in his stories, but you’d know that if you’d spent five minutes Googling interviews and doing a bit of research before blathering on. Dale couldn’t thank Carl? Oye vey, really? Dale couldn’t thank Carl for his role in saving a man’s life (and that’s exactly how the character would have seen it had he even known it had happened) because he was too busy dying a gruesome death. Duh. Dude, I don’t know who you think you’re writing for, but I assure you they’re just too stupid to figure out what end of the keyboard gets plugged into the wall. Let’s try another career, k?

• Steve Kubitza says:

I’m not sure who plugs a keyboard into a wall, so Mr. Gibbet that does not make much sense. The reason he cannot thank Carl is because Carl lured the walker onto the farm. Also, this is a fictional television show, so try not to take it so serious.

4. Jomanna17 says:

Thank you for this article ! Dale was an excellent
    Character and I hate that they killed him! I agree
    Give less lines to Carl and whatever her name is and and more to t-dog ! I also agree with dales shocked face
    That I too will miss. I think he was integral to the
    Group in regards to his morals and views and i Would have loved to have seen him
    Throughout the seasons! What an excellent actor too!

5. Marcosfvieira says:

That’s a lot more about Dale’s death. Once he died before ever involving to Andrea, who, in the comics fell in love with him, her own personality may change. For better or worse. In one hand she has the chance to learn from Dale’s death and finally give him reason, as she started to do during the “trial” of Randall. On the other hand, she may definitely get Shane’s way because Dale’s choice led him to death and it may look the weak way (for some, not for me). By the way, I think Dale’s choice was the most dangerous, but also the most human. He chose to dye human and took responsibility for his acts: he even offered to look out fo Randall if he was spared. He was the most courageous of the hole group, because killing Randall was the shortest and easyest was. But what would follow that? Who would be the next to be killed and what would be the motive? Anyway, I will miss Dale a lot. And I hope Andrea too. And I will miss their love and friendship, that was the biggest loss to the whole show.

6. Marcosfvieira says:

About Carl: he didin’t save Randall, not intentionally. He sheered with the possibility of killing the man. He didn’t take Dale’s side, he was just having fun throwing stones on a dead man. Fo all that, Carl looks just like an asshole for me and I don’t care if he gets killed on the show. If Rick chose not to kill Randall it was because of what he saw Carl turning into, something worse than The Governor, wich Rick himself is pretty close after this episode. I hope, again, Dale’s death puts some light in their heads and prevents that course of choices. And, please, writers, do kill Shane at once! He’s already took too long of my time!

7. This is not how to title a post about a current TV show.

8. This is not how to title a post about a current TV show.

9. Tattoolover69 says:

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it :)

10. First of all, english is not my first language, so I’m sorry for any mistakes.

I’m really upset after watching this episode. Dale fought to keep humanity in the group, he tried to save Randall and at the end he was killed before him. Worst than that, he actually begged, on his own way, to be killed and to have the pain stopped.
    And about Lori and Carl: what annoying characters! The world is falling into pieces and Carl just can’t stop being in trouble and disturbing people. Looks like puberty came early with all this problems around him. And Lori doesn’t have personality at all, she hooks up with someone right after losing her husband, she agrees with Andrea’s way to convince Beth to live but don’t step up on it, she desagree of Rick’s choice but support him… When is she ever gonna take a stand on something?

Anyway, as someone already has commented, Dale and his wisdom will be lost. This is a big lost for the show.

11. I will miss his voice, Almost nobody in the group has a calming kind of elderly voice. Except for Hershel but he is a fucking pussy.

12. Thank you for another informative website. Where else could I get that type of info written in such an ideal way? I’ve a project that I am just now working on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

13. If some one wants to be updated with latest technologies after that
    he must be go to see this site and be up to date every day.

14. Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    curious if you get a lot of spam feedback? If so how do you reduce it,
    any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

15. I had been wondering if you happen to considered changing the
    page layout of your site? Its perfectly written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so
    people could connect to it better. Youve got an awful lot of
    text for just having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space
    it out better?

16. Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger,
    and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to swap
    strategies with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

17. It’s an amazing part of writing made for every one of the web people; they may get advantage from using it
    I am certain.

18. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to revisit yet again since i
    have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the best way
    to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

19. I could not resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!