If you, like me, consider college basketball to be your favorite sport, then your own personal countdown to March Madness has surely begun in earnest by now.
And even if you are just a part-time college hoops fan during March, you have to be getting excited about the impending bracket madness, which is now less than a month away.
As always, Midwest Sports Fans will be your portal for just about any March Madness information and analysis you could want to need. So while I’m sitting here enjoying a lazy Sunday watching Purdue host Michigan State, I figured I’d take a few minutes to give you some pertinent information for the next several weeks.
When is Selection Sunday?
It’s all just hors d’ourves until the field of 68 is announced on one of the most anticipated Sundays of the sports calendar.
This year, Selection Sunday occurs on March 11th.
And, as usual, it will be televised on CBS right after the conclusion of the Big Ten Championship game.
And, as always, the brackets will be available online here as quick or quicker than anywhere else — because I’m a huge nerd and enter them into pre-posted bracket tables as they are announced.
I will say this though: with Indiana looking like more and more of a safe bet to be in this year’s tournament for the first time since 2008, there may be a slight delay in posting as I dance around my apartment singing “Indiana, Our Indiana” if/when the Hoosiers’ name is announced.
When do all the conference tournaments start?
So glad you asked!
Because Andy Bottoms already answered this question in another post: Championship Week Preview.
As usual, the “BCS conference” tournaments start several days before Selection Sunday, with most ending that weekend right before the tournament teams and seeds are announced.
- ACC Tournament: starts Thursday, March 8th
- Big 12 Tournament: starts Wednesday, March 7th
- Big East Tournament: starts Tuesday, March 6h
- Big Ten Tournament: starts Thursday, March 8th
- Pac-12 Tournament: starts Wednesday, March 7th
- SEC Tournament starts: Thursday, March 8th
Here are some other conference tournament start dates for conferences of local midwestern interest:
- Atlantic 10 Tournament: starts Tuesday, March 6th
- Horizon League Tournament: starts Tuesday, February 28th
- MAC Tournament: starts Monday, March 5th
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament: starts Thursday, March 1st
- Ohio Valley Conference: starts Wednesday, February 29th
To see the rest of the start dates, tournament schedules, and links to the official conference tournament sites, check out Andy’s post. And, of course, check MSF regularly over the next couple of weeks, as we will have extensive conference tournament coverage coming your way.
What other March Madness 2012 dates should I know?
Several weeks back, I posted our annual March Madness preview post for 2012 that outlines the complete tournament schedule, all of the sites where tournament games will be played, and that, of course, provides all the ticket links you could possibly want.
Here is what this year’s NCAA Tournament schedule looks like:
- March 5-March 11: Conference Championship Week
- March 11: Selection Sunday
- March 13 and 14: First Four
- March 15 and 16: Second Round Games
- March 17 and 18: Third Round Games
- March 22 and 23: Sweet 16 Games
- March 24 and 25: Elite 8 Games
- March 31: Final 4
- April 2: NCAA Championship Game
What is your favorite funny picture of a college basketball coach?
This one is easy.
I’ve always been partial to the following picture of Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan casting a spell during a game:
Now I’ll turn it over to you. What is your favorite funny picture of a college basketball coach?