First-year Lamar coach Pat Knight had nothing kind to say about his players after Wednesday night’s 62-52 loss to Stephen F. Austin. The loss put the Cardinals two games behind McNeese State in the Southland Conference’s East Division.
Knight, former Indiana player and Texas Tech coach, took the podium while player Mike James was talking to reporters. Knight interrupted the senior guard saying, “All right, let’s go. I’m next. You don’t have a clue what it takes to win.”
Knight proceeded to unload on the “worst group of seniors” he had ever been associated with (seniors he’s coached for less than one season).
Here’s the press conference in all its awkward glory:
Update: As you can see, the video has been removed. We’ll try to find another. (Update: We did!) In the meantime, here are a few of Knight’s quotes, courtesy of our friends at Lost Lettermen:
• “I’m unhappy with these seniors, that’s what I’m unhappy with, it has nothing to do with X’s and O’s. We’ve got the worst group of seniors that I’ve ever been associated with.”
• “We’ve had problems with these guys off the court, on the court, classroom, drugs, I mean, being late for stuff, all that stuff correlates together if you’re going to win games.”
• “I feel sorry for this school. I mean these kids are stealing money by being on scholarship with their approach to things.”
• “The main problem is we don’t have a leader. We have six seniors but not one of them is a leader. We’ve got a bunch of followers.”
• “We’ve got a bunch of tin men out there, they have no heart… We can’t play for them, that’s the sad thing.”
• “Usually you have one or two guys that are a problem. We have an infestation of guys that are hard to coach.”
• “When I played, if you acted like some of these guys did, you got shoved in a locker with a forearm against your neck and told, ‘You don’t do that. That’s not how we do things here at Indiana.’ And that’s what we need.”
• “And I don’t think they get it. If you act this way in the real world, you’re gonna be homeless, without a job.”