Bettor’s Guide: NFL Week 2 Picks, Point Spreads, Over-Unders

As many people were, I was caught off guard by a few results in Week 1.

I definitely did not expect the Bengals to play as well as they did (relatively speaking of course, because it was still the Browns…); I figured Pittsburgh would put up much more of a fight against Baltimore; and the Rams barely even had enough offensive players to finish the game, let alone compete with the explosive Eagles.

Still, I pulled off a plus-.500 week, going 8-7-1 in Week 1. I strive for much better, but like the 49ers and Bills I’m just happy to have my head above water. Hopefully this week I can start to build some momentum and a nice cushion above .500.

If you missed the $250 MSF Week 1 Freeroll Challenge at FanDuel, shame on you.

Click here to sign up at FanDuel to play the best weekly fantasy football game around and so you don’t miss the next MSF Freeroll (likely Week 3)!

nfl-week-2-picks-point-spreads-odds-free-picks-ats-over-unders-week-2-two

nfl-week-2-picks-point-spreads-odds-free-picks-ats-over-unders-week-2-twoA couple of quick things to keep in mind:

• All times are ET.
  • All spread info as of Tuesday. If you want updated point spread info, or some expert advice as you make your weekly picks, below are a few helpful links.

Now here are your Week 2 picks, along with the point spreads and over-under odds for each game.

NFL Week 2 Bettor’s Guide

Picks – Point Spreads – Over-Under Odds – Free Picks Against the Spread (ATS)

Seattle Seahawks at Pittsburgh Steelers

• Seahawks-Steelers Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Seahawks-Steelers Point Spread: Steelers -14.5
  • Seahawks-Steelers Over-Under Odds: 40.5
  • Seahawks-Steelers Spread Pick: One of these teams is actually as bad as it looked in Week 1…and it ain’t the one that was in the Super Bowl last year. Yes, Pittsburgh has an older defense, and they may very well succumb to the Super Bowl Loser’s Curse, but they are going to be ready to “unleash hell” this weekend. Plus, with TJack at the helm, and no home crowd to buoy them like they had in the playoffs last year, the Seahawks aren’t good enough to take advantage of the Steelers’ age. I hate laying this many points, but in this case, I’ll be bold. Seahawks-Steelers free pick: Steelers -14.5 (Note: I asked Twitter for help on this one, and 66% of respondents said to go with the Steelers; so even though this makes me extremely nervous, I’m sticking with Pittsburgh.)

Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans

• Ravens-Titans Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Ravens-Titans Point Spread: Ravens -6
  • Ravens-Titans Over-Under Odds: 37.5
  • Ravens-Titans Spread Pick: The Ravens looked like world beaters in Week 1, and I think their excellence is a Week 1 trend that can be trusted. The Titans, on the other hand, lost to the lowly Jaguars and Luke McCown. Again, I’m going to go against my usual conservative nature here, which would compel me to take the home team and the points. Give me the red hot Ravens to continue obliterating the AFC. Ravens-Titans free pick: Ravens -6

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Jets

• Jaguars-Jets Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Jaguars-Jets Point Spread: Jets -9.5
  • Jaguars-Jets Over-Under Odds: 38.5
  • Jaguars-Jets Spread Pick: The Jets were lucky to get a win in Week 1 against the Cowboys. Similarly, the Jaguars were lucky to win, at least as much as you consider the timing of games on one’s schedule to be luck. I’m admittedly torn on this one. The Jags’ D isn’t great, and Luke McCown isn’t even good, but do I trust Mark Sanchez enough to pick the Jets to win by double digits? No, not really…but I also don’t think the Jags will be able to do anything offensively against the Jets. Honestly, I think that if the Jets can score 10 points they may just beat the spread in this one. Jaguars-Jets free pick: Jets -9.5

Arizona Cardinals at Washington Redskins

• Cardinals-Redskins Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Cardinals-Redskins Point Spread: Redskins -4
  • Cardinals-Redskins Over-Under Odds: 44
  • Cardinals-Redskins Spread Pick: The Redskins looked pretty good in Week 1, and it’s quite possible that I picked the wrong NFC East team (I picked Dallas) to be a new playoff team this year. But I’m not sold enough on Sexy Rexy yet to be a true believer in the Redskins, and I feel like they usually play pretty well in Week 1 on an annual basis before crashing down soon thereafter. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, Larry Fitzgerald is going to have a big game, and it’s going to be enough to keep the Cards close. Cardinals-Redskins free pick: Cardinals +4

Oakland Raiders at Buffalo Bills

• Raiders-Bills Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Raiders-Bills Point Spread: Bills -4
  • Raiders-Bills Over-Under Odds: 42.5
  • Raiders-Bills Spread Pick: If you are a fan of either of these two teams, you have to be really pleased right now. We’re 1/16th of the way through the season and not only are you 1-0, but you’re team looked halfway decent in getting the W. Sure, neither played a particularly good opponent in Week 1, but wins are wins in the NFL, and now one of these teams is going to be 2-0. I’m not sure who it’ll be, but I do no know that it’ll be a close game that will come down to a field goal. Makes this an easy pick. Raiders-Bills free pick: Raiders +4

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Minnesota Vikings

• Buccaneers-Vikings Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Buccaneers-Vikings Point Spread: Vikings -3
  • Buccaneers-Vikings Over-Under Odds: 40.5
  • Buccaneers-Vikings Spread Pick: On the flip side, you can’t be all that happy about Week 1 if you’re a TB or a Minnesota fan. I’ve been down on Tampa Bay in 2011 ever since they were dominating an easy schedule in 2010. Like the Browns in 2008 after the surprising 2007 season, the Bucs have giant letdown written all over them. And LeGarrette Blount has already chirped publicly about not getting enough touches…after one game. I’m telling you, it’s a harbinger of doom for what will end up being a lost season for a young and talented team and its young and talented coach. But look out in 2012. As for this week, Donovan McNabb will be better. He has to be. Regardless, Adrian Peterson is going beast mode. Vikings-Buccaneers free pick: Vikings -3

Chicago Bears at New Orleans Saints

• Bears-Saints Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Bears-Saints Point Spread: Saints -6.5
  • Bears-Saints Over-Under Odds: 47
  • Bears-Saints Spread Pick: The Bears really surprised me in Week 1. I’m not that high on Atlanta this year, but I didn’t expect Chicago to look so…competent. Week 2 will be a different story though. New Orleans will be the more “desperate” team at 0-1, they are own their own turf, and the strength of the Bears’ D is not pass coverage, at least not against a stud QB like Drew Brees. Plus, the Saints D can pressure Jay Cutler into mistakes. Give me the Saints. Bears-Saints free pick: Saints -6.5

Note: I make a habit of not changing these pics once I submit them, and I won’t here. But just know that considering the untimely passing of Brian Urlacher’s mother, and the emotion with which I expect the Bears to play, I’d be taking them and the points if I could do this over again.

Green Bay Packers at Carolina Panthers

• Packers-Panthers Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Packers-Panthers Point Spread: Packers -10
  • Packers-Panthers Over-Under Odds: 46.5
  • Packers-Panthers Spread Pick: That sound you hear off in the distance is the Cam Newton Hype Train crashing back to reality this Sunday. While Newton surprised and impressed everyone against Arizona’s moribund pass defense in Week 1, he will not finding the passing lanes quite so big against Charles Woodson and Co. Also, there is Clay Matthews. And BJ Raji. And another white man with long, flowing blonde hair. Newton should, however, take good notes watching the QB on the other sideline, because the NFL MVP award in 2011 is going to come down to Rodgers or Brady, and it should be fascinating to watch those two put up video game numbers all season long. Packers-Panthers free pick: Packers -10

Cleveland Browns at Indianapolis Colts

• Browns-Colts Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Browns-Colts Point Spread: Browns -2.5
  • Browns-Colts Over-Under Odds: 38
  • Browns-Colts Spread Pick: Folks, I realize that Peyton Manning is gone and that the Colts looked terrible on Sunday. But a team that just lost to Cincinnati at home is now giving points in Lucas Oil Stadium. Umm…no. Despite having a head coach that seems to be in 10 miles over his head, the Colts do still have a stable of good, veteran players, and they’re too proud to go out like they did against Houston. Now that the shock of Peyton being gone has worn off, the Colts will be motivated to prove they can be competent without him. At least they have a roster full of players who have been competent before. Cleveland? Not so much. This is the no-brainer pick of the week for me. Lock. Browns-Colts free pick: Colts +2.5

Kansas City Chiefs at Detroit Lions

• Chiefs-Lions Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Chiefs-Lions Point Spread: Lions -8
  • Chiefs-Lions Over-Under Odds: 45
  • Chiefs-Lions Spread Pick: How crazy is it to see the Lions favored by eight points over someone and not think twice about it? Pretty crazy. But such is the current state of the Lions and 2010 playoff team (yes, that actually happened) the Kansas City Chiefs. As with the Bucs, I see this ending up as a lost season for the Chiefs, while the Lions continue their ascension to playoff worthiness. I’m sure KC will play better than they did in Week 1, but it still won’t be enough. Detroit is rolling right now and the Chiefs are not good enough to stop them. Chiefs-Lions free pick: Lions -8

Dallas Cowboys at San Francisco 49ers

• Cowboys-49ers Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 4:05 ET on FOX
  • Cowboys-49ers Point Spread: Cowboys -3
  • Cowboys-49ers Over-Under Odds: 42.5
  • Cowboys-49ers Spread Pick: Very interesting game here. The 49ers are not nearly as good (yet) as their 16-point victory over the Seahawks might indicate. First, Seattle sucks, so that should temper any excitement about that victory right there. Second, the 49ers offense was putrid. Only because of Ted Ginn did the final score indicate an easy win, and we see special teams TDs all the time in Week 1, so expecting such heroics from Ginn are pure speculation. And Tony Romo’s 4th quarter deuce-dropping masked a pretty solid overall performance from the Cowboys. They’ll be eager to get a W in Week 2 so that the whispers of “This is like 2010″ don’t start. Cowboys-49ers free pick: Cowboys -3

Cincinnati Bengals at Denver Broncos

• Bengals-Broncos Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 4:15 ET on CBS
  • Bengals-Broncos Point Spread: Broncos -4.5
  • Bengals-Broncos Over-Under Odds: 40
  • Bengals-Broncos Spread Pick: This game will undoubtedly be the most boring and painful to watch of the weekend. So I won’t bore you with a lot of thought behind my pick. I just think both teams suck so badly it will be a close, low-scoring game, so give me the points and let’s move on. Bengals-Broncos free pick: Bengals +4.5

Houston Texans at Miami Dolphins

• Texans-Dolphins Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 4:15 ET on CBS
  • Texans-Dolphins Point Spread: Texans -3
  • Texans-Dolphins Over-Under Odds: 47
  • Texans-Dolphins Spread Pick: The Texans are the odds-on favorite to win the AFC South – I even picked them to do so before Peyton Manning was announced out for Week 1 – but that doesn’t mean the road will be easy. There is a good chance 9-7 will get the job done, so expect the usual Texans hiccups along the way. I think this will be one of them. Even though the Dolphins have the short week, and their D got torched by Tom Brady, I expect a much better performance against a Texans team that looked better than it really is simply because Indy was shell-shocked without Manning. Texans-Dolphins free pick: Dolphins +3

San Diego Chargers at New England Patriots

• Chargers-Patriots Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 4:15 ET on CBS
  • Chargers-Patriots Point Spread: Patriots -7
  • Chargers-Patriots Over-Under Odds: 52.5
  • Chargers-Patriots Spread Pick: The Chargers were no overly impressive in Week 1 against the Vikings, though they did get a victory. They are also a notoriously slow-starting team. New England often comes out of the gates relatively well, and their offense did look impressive, incredibly impressive, in Week 1. Still, 7 points is a lot of points to lay against a QB as prolific as Philip Rivers. I don’t  think he’s ready to beat a guy like Tom Brady yet, but if Chad Henne could keep his team in the game, so can Rivers. Chargers-Patriots free pick: Chargers +7

Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons

• Eagles-Falcons Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, September 18th at 8:20 ET on NBC
  • Eagles-Falcons Point Spread: Eagles -2.5
  • Eagles-Falcons Over-Under Odds: 50.5
  • Eagles-Falcons Spread Pick: I predicted the Falcons to not make the playoffs in 2011, but I didn’t expect them to foretell their demise so quickly in Week 1. Here is the bad part for Atlanta: the schedule gets much harder in Week 2, even though they’re at home. Sure, the Falcons are a good home team, but they also will be going up against what is sure to be an extra-focused Michael Vick. He will want to perform well in his return to Atlanta, and Matt Ryan just may end up a little surprised at the love Vick gets shown. Unless Ryan takes the Falcons to a Super Bowl, Atlanta will always be a Vick town. He’ll remind them of why on Sunday. Eagles-Falcons free pick: Eagles -2.5

St. Louis Rams at New York Giants

• Rams-Giants Date, Time, and TV: Monday, September 19th at 8:30 ET on ESPN
  • Rams-Giants Point Spread: Giants -4.5
  • Rams-Giants Over-Under Odds: 43
  • Rams-Giants Spread Pick: Two of the biggest Week 1 disappointments square off Monday night in a huge game for both. Going down 0-2 is a huge hurdle to overcome, especially for teams expected to be on the fringe of playoff contention anyway. Because the Giants are the more veteran team, and have the healthier set of skill position players on offense, I think they’ll win this game; but the Rams aren’t going to just roll over and make it easy. If Rex Grossman could have a good day against the Giants, then Sam Bradford sure as hell can too. He will, and this game will be a good one. Rams-Giants free pick: Rams +4.5

Comments

1. What are you guys locks for the week? Obviously Jets/Jags, Steelers/Seahawks, and Packers/Panthers but anybody think any other matchups are locks? By the way, check out www. sftcdaily .com and click "staff picks." They definitely helped me.

2. Thank you very much for your insight, although I may not agree with all your picks, I appreciate being able to see what another NFL fan and someone who probably spends a lot more time than I have available to me doing research. Every year I win at least 2 pools, normally 3 or 4. This is in a confidence pool with about 10-20 coworkers and friends. The smartphone enticed me to see, for the 1st time ever, to look @ ‘expert’ picks and opinions. I cant believe these jackasses actually think they can charge for this. Really? I’m sure there’s money in it but geez; get over yourselves. On average, some waitress or secretary with no knowledge of football wins @ least once based on picking the prettier helmets. Get Real. Any given Sunday is definitely a phrase that exists for a reason. I won one of these last year by picking the lowly Browns over the Pats.

• I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I do my picks Tuesday based on my first gut reaction and the initial lines. I've been well over 50% every year doing it this way, and I figure I'd just overthink it if I delved too deeply into the stats. Happy to help! Best of luck.

3. Kevin Kepner says:

You are wrong about the 49ers. Watch them murder the cowboys and you will eat human shit as well as your words, cocksucker!

• Well Kevin, thanks for your visit and comment. You may be surprised to find this out, but my dad actually works for the 49ers. I live in Dallas, so I will be at BW3s with my Frank Gore jersey on cheering loudly for San Fran in a room full of Cowboys fans. On here, I try to be as objective as possible; and when my favorite teams are involved (Dolphins and 49ers) I don't mind picking against them in hopes of executing a reverse jinx.

I will say this: my family has only been 49ers fans for a couple of years now, since dad joined the organization. I sincerely hope that if you are a 49ers fan (I assume so, but perhaps not) that you are not representative of the entire fan base, because that would be a shame. I mean seriously. Look at what you wrote…all because I happened to pick Dallas to cover the 3-point spread against a 49ers team with a struggling QB and a new coach.

Alas, thanks for your visit and comment. And go 49ers!

• Thank God Kevin doesn't speak for all of us 9er fans. I do gave you the credit do for being fair in your assesment of this weeks game, that being said I do believe you to be wrong in this case. Although San Fran is still in a much needed re-tooling stage, the lack of healthy bodies in the secondary will help
        Alex Smith find his stride early in this game and hopefully for the season. I don't want you to have to eat shit, just your words, when the 9ers get the win.

• I'd like to go out on a limb with Tom however I think the 8 and 0 prediction is a little too much, please make no mistake I am a Bungles(not a misprint) fan as well. The first half of the schedule should keep us on our toes with closely matched opponents. As long as the defense can keep them in games against high-powered, not eliete, offenses with a lot of weapons such as the 9ers in week 3 and the Bills the following week and the offense plays smart, not giving up the ball, with it's return to a ground game that won them the division in 2009, 8 and 0 is a strong possability as long as they don't Bungle it up.

• As for your Indy over Cleavland pick, in a normal season I would agree that this is a no brainer, however I feel like you are down playing the effect the "Manning Situation" has put the Colts in far to much. This is a team sport and one guy can't do it alone, but eleven guys still can't get it done when they don't believe in the guy who has been given the starting job. Yes I did not say picked or chosen, do you honestly think if the Colts knew they would be Manningless this season Kerry Collins would be the guy they'd go out and get. No right now weed be talking about Brett coming out of retirement again or how well Tebow's playing with the starting job in Denver while Orton's getting used to things in Indy.

• Sorry but with out Peyton the Colts are just fishing for a W where ever and how ever they can get one. Not only have you down-played the abscense of Peyton but a Cleavland team who, despite the loss last week, played well(not great). McCoy looks like he's finnally gone somewhere that not only is he comfortable with but they are comfortable with him. Now it's time for him to get consistant, 0-1 wasn't a good start but at least he looked solid. If McCoy ups his completion percentage and dosen't turn the ball over the Browns get the win.

• One last argument and the biggest for someone who's not a fan of either team, I don't dis-like either of them ither. I understand the Texans win did seem outrageous against the Colts, but to say it had everything to do with the "Manning Situation" and nothing to do with the exploxiveness of a high-powered offense, who in their own right could be atop the league's elietes within the next few years, is absurd. Espescially when you take that offense to Miami, who just lost at home, against a defense that got ran over. Even though the Pats never really got thier ground game going they did have some success against Houston, that being said, it might not be the best week for Sparano to dial back Reggie Bush's role in the offense, if they want to win this one. Look for the Texans to stay with an 0 in the loss column.

For the sake of argument
            Ryan Chris