Bettors Guide: NFL Week 9 Picks, Point Spreads, and Over-Under Odds

Update 11/5: The final spread and pick has been posted.

Update 11/3: Two more spreads have been posted. Picks updated.

I have now officially hit a midseason lull.

You all know that my goal every week is to be above .500. I figure if I can consistently be above .500, and sprinkle in a few really good weeks, it will lead to strong overall record against the spread for the season.

That all went well through the first six weeks of the season as I stormed out to 18 games over .500 with nary a sub-.500 week in sight. But over the last two weeks I’ve gone 6-7 twice, making my overall record 62-46-5.

That’s still pretty good halfway through the season, but that strong start has raised my own expectations. I feel like I’m due for a breakout week in Week 9. Time to make it happen.

nfl week 9 picks - point spreads - over-under odds - free picks against the spread atsA couple of quick things to keep in mind:

• All times are ET.
  • Note: Not all spreads were available when I checked Tuesday morning. I’ll update this post when they are.
  • Point spread and over-under listings are as of Tuesday and obviously subject to change throughout the week. If you want updated point spread info, or some expert advice as you make your weekly picks, below are a few helpful links.
  • DocSports: NFL Odds
  • DocSports: NFL Picks

And with all that said, here are your Week 9 picks, plus the point spreads and over-under odds.

NFL Week 9 Bettors Guide

Point Spreads – Free Picks Against the Spread – Over-Under Odds

The following teams are on bye in Week 9:

• Denver Broncos
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • San Francisco 49ers
  • St. Louis Rams
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Washington Redskins

New York Jets at Detroit Lions

• Jets-Lions Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on CBS
  • Jets-Lions Point Spread: Jets -4
  • Jets-Lions Over-Under Odds: 41.5
  • Jets-Lions Spread Pick: I don’t know if you’re noticing, but corners and pages are being turned in Detroit folks. Not only have the Lions finally started making good draft picks, but they have a coach that is molding them together into a team. At home this year, the Lions are 2-1, and they really have only been blown out of one game all season. The Jets are coming off a horrid performance at home against Green Bay and I can see them not taking the Lions completely seriously. They may win, but this Lions team is becoming a good bet in their dome. Jets-Lions free pick: Lions +4

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons

• Buccaneers-Falcons Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on FOX
  • Buccaneers-Falcons Point Spread: Falcons -9
  • Buccaneers-Falcons Over-Under Odds: 44.5
  • Buccaneers-Falcons Spread Pick: You are probably wondering why the Falcons are 9 point favorites over the 5-2 Buccaneers. I’ll tell you why: the 38-13 home loss to Pittsburgh and the 31-6 home loss to New Orleans. TB’s five wins have come against: Cleveland, Carolina, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Arizona. Atlanta is a cut or two above all five of those teams, especially at home. The Bucs are an up and coming team, but they are still too young and inexperienced to win a game like this on the road. Because of their hot start, the Falcons will give them their full attention and make this an afternoon to forget. Bucs-Falcons free pick: Falcons -9

Miami Dolphins at Baltimore Ravens

• Dolphins-Ravens Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on CBS
  • Dolphins-Ravens Point Spread: Ravens -5.5
  • Dolphins-Ravens Over-Under Odds: 40.5
  • Dolphins-Ravens Spread Pick: Umm, perhaps the oddsmakers haven’t yet seen the ubiquitous stat that Miami is 0-3 at home and 4-0 on the road. I have, and I think it speaks volumes about the toughness and ability of the Dolphins team. Miami’s three losses have come to New England, the Jets, and Pittsburgh, three of the best teams in the NFL. Baltimore certainly is in the mix for best team, and may very well win this game, but Tony Sparano and his troops are not going to lay down and make it easy on them. Dolphins-Ravens free pick: Dolphins +5.5

New England Patriots at Cleveland Browns

• Patriots-Browns Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on CBS
  • Patriots-Browns Point Spread: Patriots -5
  • Patriots-Browns Over-Under Odds: 44
  • Patriots-Browns Spread Pick: You might think this spread should be higher, but I don’t really have a problem with it. Now that Randy Moss is gone, we are officially back to the Brady-Belichick Patriots who simply try to make one or two more plays each game to win. They don’t blow people out, they just win. Clearly New England is the better team here, but the Browns have played good teams tough this year and should be able to move the ball some against a Patriots D that is far from dominant. New England will win this game, but I’m beginning to like the Browns as a good value this year, especially at home. Patriots-Browns free pick: Browns +5

Arizona Cardinals at Minnesota Vikings

• Cardinals-Vikings Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on FOX
  • Cardinals-Vikings Point Spread: Vikings -9
  • Cardinals-Vikings Over-Under Odds: 41
  • Cardinals-Vikings Spread Pick: I’m actually surprised there is a line on this game already with as much flux as there is currently in Minnesota. Between Favre’s injuries, Randy Moss’ release, and the tenuous position of Brad Childress, there is no telling what will happen from one day to the next with this team. Here is my prediction: Childress gets fired before Sunday, Leslie Frazier takes over, and the Vikings are so overjoyed and relieved that they unleash a terrific all around effort. Still, I cannot take two 9-point favorites in one week, and I am certainly not going to trust a 2-win team with that big a spread, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vikings ran the Cardinals out of the stadium, so to speak. I just can’t bring myself to pick it. Cardinals-Vikings free pick: Cardinals +9

Chicago Bears at Buffalo Bills

• Bears-Bills Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on FOX
  • Bears-Bills Point Spread: Bears -2.5
  • Bears-Bills Over-Under Odds: 40.5
  • Bears-Bills Spread Pick: Will this be the week that Buffalo finally gets a win? I don’t know, but after watching this team battle and fight and claw every week, I know that I’m rooting for them to get one. And why not against the Bears? Chicago has one of the worst offensive lines in football, a struggling QB, and has been fighting the karma gods ever since stealing a win from Detroit in Week 1. This game is in Buffalo too, which obviously helps the Bills. I don’t know if Buffalo gets the win, but they’ve played Kansas City and Baltimore to overtime; surely they can beat a 2.5 point spread against the Bears. Bears-Bills free pick: Bills +2.5

San Diego Chargers at Houston Texans

• Chargers-Texans Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on CBS
  • Chargers-Texans Point Spread: Chargers -3
  • Chargers-Texans Over-Under Odds: 50.5
  • Chargers-Texans Spread Pick: The over is high, but you have to like it with these two teams don’t you? Houston cannot stop anyone from throwing the ball, and they now welcome the league’s most prolific passing offense to town. The Chargers’ stats suggest they should have a much better record than they do, and I think they are going to start catching up in the win column. They dominated a good Tennessee team in the second half last week, while the Texans played a relatively uninspired Monday night game against the Colts. I like the Chargers to win this game…but I’m not comfortable trusting them on the road as a favorite. Chargers-Texans free pick: Texans +3

New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers

• Saints-Panthers Date: Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 pm on FOX
  • Saints-Panthers Point Spread: Saints -6.5
  • Saints-Panthers Over-Under Odds: 41
  • Saints-Panthers Spread Pick: The Saints have been a really tough team to figure all year, and I’ve pretty much been wrong on them every time. Carolina obviously isn’t great, and will be playing without DeAngelo Williams, but I just don’t trust the Saints enough to pick them by a touchdown on the road. New Orleans still is without Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush, and they don’t have a raucous home crown on Halloween night plus the motivation of playing the Steelers. I sense a letdown here against a division opponent that knows them well. Saints-Panthers free pick: Panthers +6.5

New York Giants at Seattle Seahawks

• Giants-Seahawks Date: Sunday, November 7 at 4:05 pm on FOX
  • Giants-Seahawks Point Spread: Giants -5.5
  • Giants-Seahawks Over-Under Odds: 41
  • Giants-Seahawks Spread Pick: If you made me pick my Super Bowl matchup right now, I’d say it’ll be a rematch of the Patriots and Giants. They are the two teams playing the best football right now. Seattle, on the other hand, was exposed as a fraud last week in getting creamed by a now-overrated Oakland team. Still, it’s tough to deny what Seattle has done at home this year. They beat San Francisco by 25, San Diego by 7, and Arizona by 12. The Giants are coming off a bye and could be a bit rusty offensively, just like the Jets were last week. I’d pick the Giants straight up, but 5.5 points is a lot to ask a team that is visiting Seattle. Giants-Seahawks free pick: Seahawks +5.5

Indianapolis Colts at Philadelphia Eagles

• Colts-Eagles Date: Sunday, November 7 at 4:15 pm on FOX
  • Colts-Eagles Point Spread: Eagles -3
  • Colts-Eagles Over-Under Odds: 46.5
  • Colts-Eagles Spread Pick: Michael Vick is back, and the battle between he and Peyton Manning provides a fascinating contrast of styles. Philly is coming off a bye week and working Vick back into the lineup. I expect some offensive struggles against the fast Colts D. If they run with LeSean McCoy, they’ll be much better off than trying to have Vick win this game without DeSean Jackson. Ultimately, the greatest regular season QB ever is on the other sideline, and if you’re giving him points I will take them. Colts-Eagles free pick: Colts +3

Kansas City Chiefs at Oakland Raiders

• Chiefs-Raiders Date: Sunday, November 7 at 4:15 pm on CBS
  • Chiefs-Raiders Point Spread: Raiders -3
  • Chiefs-Raiders Over-Under Odds: 40.5
  • Chiefs-Raiders Spread Pick: I do not think either one of these teams is a playoff team, though one may make it in the watered-down AFC West. I do like both as up-and-comers for the future though. It’s hard to overlook what Oakland has done offensively the last two weeks, but Kansas City will be the best defense they’ve played. That should slow things down a bit. And if the game comes down to Jason Campbell’s arm, Oakland will be in some trouble. With Nnamdi Asomugha out, Matt Cassel should be able to provide some balance for his terrific run game. Chiefs win a close one in Oakland. Chiefs-Raiders free pick: Chiefs +3

Dallas Cowboys at Green Bay Packers

• Cowboys-Packers Date: Sunday, November 7 at 8:20 pm on NBC
  • Cowboys-Packers Point Spread: Packers -9
  • Cowboys-Packers Over-Under Odds: 45
  • Cowboys-Packers Spread Pick: Dallas was simply awful in Week 8, getting trounced at home by the Jaguars. Green Bay was not all that great either, at least offensively, but they beat a very good Jets team 9-0. I certainly think the Packers will win this game, but I have a hard time believing the Cowboys won’t be able to muster some pride on Sunday Night Football, with all of America watching. Green Bay will win, but I just can’t say another blowout against Dallas, especially against a one-dimensional offense like Green Bay’s. Cowboys-Packers free pick: Cowboys +9

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals

• Steelers-Bengals Date: Monday, November 8 at 8:30 pm on ESPN
  • Steelers-Bengals Point Spread: Steelers -4.5
  • Steelers-Bengals Over-Under Odds: 41.5
  • Steelers-Bengals Spread Pick: Tough luck for Cincinnati. A week after getting dominated by Miami (don’t let the score fool you) they face a Steelers team that got out-toughed against New Orleans. Not only can I not see Pittsburgh losing two games in a row, I think they will come out ready to physically dominate somebody. Cincinnati does not have the mental toughness right now to deal with that. I think they get steamrolled, and I rarely take road teams and lay this many points. Steelers-Bengals free pick: Steelers -4.5

Comments

1. wow…3-9 against the spread….you suck…LOL

2. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I could I wish to counsel you few interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to learn more issues about it!