Sweet Breesus! What a Game, What a Picture, What a Story

I’m not even a Saints fan and I’m still beaming from last night’s game. I can’t even totally put my finger on why.

The team I picked in my family Super Bowl betting challenge lost, the team I picked publicly lost, and the team with the QB from Purdue won. Plus, the difference in the game was two touchdowns and it did not have the last second drama of last year’s Super Bowl.

But…something about seeing a good guy like Drew Brees win, seeing a star-crossed city like New Orleans get to enjoy a Super Bowl, seeing the Big Ten earn some respect on football’s biggest stage, and seeing “the football gods favor the bold” (as Robert Littal would say), made Super Bowl XLIV forever special.

And here is something else that made Super Bowl XLIV special: perhaps the greatest, most poignant post-Super Bowl victory celebration picture ever, courtesy of the AP (via Deadspin).

breesus-drew-brees-son

It’s easy to be cynical about so many things that have to do with the NFL, but is there anything – anything at all – to be cynical about when it comes to Drew Brees?

I realize I run the risk of going way overboard in my public fawning of Brees today (although I’m pretty sure I won’t be the only one), but during a week that featured talked of a 2011 lockout and the legal woes of NFL legends like Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp, it’s nice to be able to focus on something that appears to be 100%, genuinely good.

And, wow, did Drew Brees give us something as football fans to feel genuinely good about this week.

For whatever reason – and 1,000 words might not encapsulate it – the picture above and video below sum that up for me.

Video: Drew Brees with son after Super Bowl

Boomer Esiason is right: “Don’t you live for that moment right there?”

Yes, yes you do. And it couldn’t have happened to a better or more deserving guy.

Comments

1. FearLoathing says:

Mardi Gras is starting early in New Orleans! What a story and what a picture.

• Haha, Mardi Gras is starting early and might last a little longer. Good for New Orleans. I don't know that they "deserve" it, per se, but it's nice to see a city that's gone through so much turmoil have something this positive to rally around.

2. It must of been Loud as hell on the field after the game…what great forethought to get the kid some earphones! Not only is Brees a great quaterback, but a great parent.

• thepapers says:

Except that he basically gave his sone down syndrome by messing with HGH and steriods. But aside from that he is a teriffic parent.

• Wow, what an a$$hole comment! Clearly thepapers has no friends.

• Your an idiot, there is no proof that he took HGH and steroids. If you don't think he can play like that look at some of his previous stats and how he played in college. He is an excellent and until now underrated QB.

• I teach special education, Professor Papers, and there is no way #9 "gave" his son (not sone) Down Syndrome.

• Criticizing someone like Drew Brees makes you seem like someone who is jealous and vengeful. Saying that he "gave" his son downs and spelling son "sone" just makes you seem stupid and totally nullifies your opinion.

• fuck the papers says:

yur a bitch and a peace of shit yu funkin mean bastard yu deaserve to fuckin go to hell for picking on a baby and a great man

• DA BLACKMAN says:

YO dont be such an ass. YOUR JUST MAD BECAUSE THE SAINTS WON DA SUPERBOWL. yo remember its just a …sport. NOW CHILL MAN U NEED TO FEEL SOME BREES.

thepapers what kind of sh!t name is dat……..

• You Guys are GAY!! Like the Defensive End

• DA BLACKMAN says:

haha football stinks why would someone watch sports if they can get off there ass and do it in real life?

3. With all the "they deserve it comments…" If your luck in sports is based off the magnitude of a natural disaster; I'm betting that the Haitian Winter Olympics team will run the table. Amirite?

4. My favorite moment of the game, and I am a huge football fan. Drew will be to his son what is own mother wasn't to him. God speed Drew

5. whodatbaby says:

The saints deserve every ounce of credit. They played phenomenally, and Drew Brees DOES NOT take steriods. Just accept the fact that the Saints are number and that Brees is an amazing Qb/father. WHO DAT

• DA BLACKMAN says:

WELL am a saints fan but i gotta tell ya, they kinda cheated the vikes so you should minus 2 ounces…ANYWAY WHO DAT

6. Really? hgh and steriods? Really? He is amazing guy and having met him in person several times, once when he was at Purdue and once in the NFL I can definitely say he is one of the nicest guys and least physically intimidating that probably plays the game. He can throw a ball about 60-70 yards in the air and has been able to since college. Amazing game Drew and congrats to the Saints and the city of New Orleans, they do deserve it but not because a hurricane hit the city, because they worked hard and outplayed the Colts.

7. WHO DAT SIMM says:

WE THE PEOPLE OF THE WHO DAT NATION WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OUR HATERS AND SAY WHO DAT TO OUR SUPPORTERS CAUSE WE DA CHAMPS NOW!!!!! BE BREESY

8. they deserve it because they EARNED it!! the team is clearly talented, despite what the media says. and i'm not just saying that because i am from new orleans, born and raised. they didn't win by some lucky field goal. they won by kicking colt a$$! and this city earned it because yes, we have been through so much turmoil, and because you will never find more loving fans in any other city. you have to live here to understand but there is something about this football team that unifies this city. its special. ive been a saints fan since i was a child, we were all RAISED on this. come visit and i can guarantee you that you will understand why this team and this city deserved this super bowl win. we arent coming down off of this high for a LONG time. mardi gras is gonna be WILD!

• DA BLACKMAN says:

yo i wouldnt wanna visit with oil spill and drugs down there.im not offending anyone . I WAS BORN DOWN THERE AND MAN THERE FOOD IS SMOKING HOT..not da people though. I MOVED AFTER THAT DAMN OIL SPILL. IM UP NORTH NOW. i have a message for ALABAMA, LOUISIANA ,FLORIDA,MISSISIPPI YOUR GONNA GET ANOTHER MAGER HURRICANE SO MOVE NOW MOVE UP NORTH. I AINT JOKIN it will be horrible trust me . im a believer i know what im sayin . move to wisconsin, minnesota,montana… BE SAFE PEACE TO DA BREES FAN. GO SAINTS AND vikes

9. Yeah I agree. Brees is a good guy, what the NFL needs. As far as little Baylen,
    man what a cute little fella!

10. Patrick Sullivan says:

I'm a died hard Colts fan and season ticket holder – and was, as can be imagined, completely deflated at the end of this game – unitl this moment – wonderful – just wonderful – we already knew that Drew was a class guy and what has transpired since then has only raised his stock. We still like our team – but that doesn't mean you can't tip your hat to another.

11. Awesome pic…nice job.

12. Not that the Colts are a bad team, they are not. But isn’t great to see the good guys win for a change?

13. DA BLACK MAN says:

YO .WHO DAT. i was born in new orleans AND now i live in minnesota..i still deciding whos better SAINTS OR VIKES. I think if you were to combine da teams …man amazing unbeatable. Im injoying da BREEZE UP HERE. IF YOU LIVE IN LOUISIANA and something bad happens to you I recommend LIVING up north. DONT HESITATE..

14. DA BLACKMAN says:

SAINTS VS COLTS.. it like da christians vs da accult

15. hottie

1. === popurls.com === popular today…

yeah! this story has entered the popular today section on popurls.com…