It’s Friday, so let’s run down the latest news on the most pertinent injuries affecting the Week 11 fantasy football landscape.
Week 11 Injury Status: Running Backs
Everyone knows by now that Brian Westbrook is out for this week and maybe many more weeks. Here is the news on the other injured running backs.
Cedric Benson Week 11 Injury Status Update: The surprise fantasy stud of 2009 still has not practiced this week and it is looking more and more like he will be out against Oakland on Sunday. This stinks for Benson owners because the Raiders are terrible against the run.
You should track this one though, as there is still an outside shot that Benson could be okay if his hip muscle responds positively over the next couple days. And FYI…the back to own for this week if Benson is out is Bernard Scott, not Larry Johnson.
Michael Turner Week 11 Injury Status Update: This is one of the biggest injuries of the season to date, especially with most leagues being in their regular season stretch run. Turner is dealing with an injured ankle and has not practiced this week. Though he has not ruled himself out of playing Sunday, it is expected that he’ll miss the Giants game. Jason Snelling and Jerious Norwood will be the fill-ins.
Ladell Betts Week 11 Injury Status Update: Clinton Portis has not practiced this week while dealing with a concussion and will most likely not play Sunday. Ladell Betts is Portis’ replacement and had over 100 yards last week. He has been dealing with a tender ankle however, which has limited him somewhat. He’s practiced the fully the last two days though so expect him to play and start against Dallas.
Reggie Bush Week 11 Injury Status Update: Reggie Bush has missed practiced all week with swelling and soreness in his left knee. He may very well be out on Sunday, and this is definitely an injury to monitor leading into the weekend. Even if he does play, you’d have to assume his explosiveness may be lessened somewhat. And what good is he without the usual explosion? I’d seek other flex options unless we start seeing reports that he’ll be at or near 100%.
Jamal Lewis Week 11 Injury Status Update: Lewis has only been participating in practice on a limited basis this week, but that’s not unusual. He should be in the lineup on Sunday and actually has a decent matchup against the Lions.
- Ahmad Bradshaw actually seems to be improving. He was not wearing the protective boot on Thursday and took some reps.
- Marion Barber continues to deal with a thumb injury that has limited him somewhat in pass-blocking situations. He is practicing fully though. Play him if you were planning to, but perhaps temper your expectations a bit.
- Cadillac Williams is back at practice and should be fine for Sunday.
- Julius Jones is definitely out with a chest injury. Justin Forsett is replacing him.
- Correll Buckhalter continues to be hindered by a knee injury and likely won’t play this weekend. Even if he does, he has not been very effective over the past month.
Week 11 Injury Status: Quarterbacks
Kyle Orton Week 11 Injury Status Update: Orton still has not practiced this week but desperately wants to be on the field for the Broncos’ pivotal home game this weekend against the Chargers. And after watching Chris Simms play last week, everyone involved with the Broncos wants Orton out there too. He has an ankle injury and it looks like he is going to be a game-time decision. I’d pencil in your alternative, but chances are Orton was just a backup for you anyway. If you’re counting on him to start, you’ll have to monitor what he does today and tomorrow.
Matthew Stafford Week 11 Injury Status Update: Stafford finally has was seems like a solid matchup this week (the Browns!). He is fully expected to start on Sunday despite being a limited practice participant early in the week.
Week 11 Injury Status: Wide Receivers
Roddy White Week 11 Injury Status Update: White didn’t practice on Wednesday and was limited on Thursday, but he is expected to play on Sunday. He has a right knee malady, but he’s been dealing with it the last few weeks and should be able to do so again in Week 11.
Antonio Bryant Week 11 Injury Status Update: Bryant has been back at practice this week, which is good. Still, nothing definitive has been ruled regarding his status. You’ll have to track this one leading into Sunday.
Steve Breaston Week 11 Injury Status Update: Breaston continues to be an underrated real-life and fantasy commodity. He’s been dealing with right knee issues for most of the season and continues to do so this week. He has been practicing on a limited basis but should be fine for Sunday. Just temper your expectations because he’s got Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin ahead of him on the depth chart.
- Laveraneus Coles should be ready to go for Sunday.
- Pierre Garcon practiced fully on Friday and should be good to go Sunday.
- Joshua Cribbs was back at practice on Thursday, which is great news for Browns fans. His status for Sunday is unknown.
- Mike Wallace of the Steelers missed Wednesday’s practice with an illness. He’s expected to play Sunday against KC.
- Bernard Berrian continues to be hobbled with a tender hamstring. He should play Sunday.
Week 11 Injury Status: Tight Ends
- Todd Heap did not participate in practice Thursday while dealing with a chest injury. He is expected to play Sunday though.
* – Cedric Benson photo credit: Bengals Official Message Board