Today’s link of the day comes from one of our favorites here at Midwest Sports Fans: Joe Posnanski.
In his column at SI.com today, Posnanski makes the bold claim (reiterating something he had recently tweeted) that Eric Mangini is the worst NFL head coaching hire in the last 25 years.
Something tells me that our very own Midnight Writer just might agree.
That’s what I call a bold statement. And though it sounds like hyperbole on its face, it is harder and harder to disagree with as each lost Sunday passes by with the Browns seeming to regress under Mangini’s watch.
I am in no way ready to give up on the Mangini experiment yet. But, there is absolutely nothing empirical that anyone can point to that suggests a turnaround is nigh.
And that really sucks…because there are still 13 more Browns games that I will faithfully watch. If they’re anything like the first three, it is going to be a long, sad, miserable year.
With that said, here is your Link of the Day and excerpt, plus more great links from around the blogosphere on a relatively slow sports news day.
Mangini: Worst Coaching Hire Ever? — (Joe Posnanski, SI.com)
I cannot stand what Eric Mangini has done to the Browns, the team of my childhood. I cannot stand the lack of respect he has shown for the team’s history, the Mickey Mouse game he plays with quarterbacks, the amazing knack he has for getting his players to not play hard for him or the stupid fines he hands out like he’s Principal Vernon from “The Breakfast Club.” Don’t mess with the bull, young man, you’ll get the horns.
But here’s the thing: Based on the Twitter responses I’ve seen … I’m actually starting to believe that I’m right. I’m actually starting to believe that Mangini really was the worst head coach hire in 25 years. The responses have mostly been to list other coaches who were worse hires than Mangini. But you know what? I don’t think any of those hires WERE worse than Mangini.
What do you think?
(By the way, for all of the Reds fans out there or just general baseball fans, Joe has a new book out about the Big Red Machine. Here is the link to his website with all of the links where you can order it.)
- The Bears’ Jay Cutler isn’t even the best Jay Cutler — (Not Qualified to Comment)
- Can Shaq and LeBron co-exist? — (Barkley’s Mouth)
- Russian Kingpin to Make ‘Bron Pawn? — (Cleveland Frowns)
- Video: carry your old lady around, win her weight in beer — (MoonDog)
- Carlos Zambrano doesn’t know what the hell he wants to do — (Another Cubs Blog)
- T.O-Rodney Harrison Twitter fight — (The Sporting Blog)
- Browns suck so bad, fans are flocking to Detroit — (MoonDog)
- When will Matt Forte join the fun? — (Zoner Sports)
- Big Ten Network playing “Erin Andrew Card” in talent selection — (The Sports Bank)
- Male football dilemma: Would you wear opposing NFL team colors to avoid being shived? — (Busted Coverage)
- Kyle Orton just wins, baby — (Tremendous Upside Potential)
- The Cynic’s Guide to College Football: 300 Edition — (Hugging Harold Reynolds)
- 13 Hot Girl/Ugly Guy Combos — (Straight Pinkie)
- Taking charge but preferring the status quo — (MSF’s own Ari Kaufman, Indianapolis Star)
- Honest letters to one-night stands — (Holy Taco)
And, finally, Conan O’Brien falls and sustains concussion on Tonight Show:
* – Eric Mangini photo credit: M. Spencer Green – AP via Dawgs By Nature