Things have been a little slow around Twins camp this week, but here’s a quick update on a few happenings around Twins Nation:
1) Scott Baker signed a four year extension to remain a Twin last week. The deal is worth $15.25M over the course of the contract with a $9.25M dollar option the following year. This is a great move for Minnesota as they locked in their opening day starter for years to come at an excellent price. Baker, 27, posted a 3.45 ERA last season over 172 innings pitched.
2) Some rumors are indicating that Minnesota is opening up talks about signing Joe Mauer long term.Â Most fans actually expect Mauer to remain a Twin despite big dollar clubs seeking to ‘buy’ him as he is a native of Minnesota and loves playing for the team.Â Â
3) The Twins are still eyeing Â RP Chad Cordero and are wanting to see more progress before making an offer.Â Several teams seem to have some level of interest.
4) Thank god we didn’t sign Eric Gagne -Â It’s reported that the Brewers will not take him back and that his shoulderÂ problems areÂ worse than originally thought. Apparently we had a $3M guarenteed offer posted for him a few weeks ago.
5) Minnesota officially signed 27 players this past week including Liriano, Perkins, Blackburn, and Slowey.Â
6) Joe Nathan is apparently fine. He said his shoulder felt ‘great’ after reporting soreness in it earlier in the week.
7) Minnesota’s presence in the World Baseball Classic is really being felt as Nick Punto and Justin Moreneau have combined to go 1 for 9 in losing efforts.Â
The Twins are still cruising through Spring Training and are eyeing a Grapefruit League title! Until then, expect things to be slow until the latter part of March. Here’s to staying healthy in March.